Wednesday, June 15, 2005

day by day

i fear i am falling back off the blogging wagon. some days it's easier to write than others. in fact, i have fallen off the writing wagon in general lately, and that's no good. but i have a workshop and a new writing class both coming up soon, so that should help me stay focused. sad that i need such structure to keep me on task, but such is life. i have been distracting myself lately with wedding stuff and finding a new apartment (my building's going condo, so we have to go), and apparently i can't mentally walk and chew gum.

we did find a new place- well actually, an old place. we're moving back into my old building, four doors down the block. in an uncharacteristically shrewd bargaining move, i talked my old landlord into renting us the third floor unit in my former building- the owner's unit, a three bedroom, and the nicest aprtment in the building- for $300/per month less than he was asking. it had been vacant for three months, and i knew that he was desperate, so i thought he might bite- and he did! talk about a renter's market...if anyone wants to rent an apartment for a great deal, move to chicago, now's the time. now i have my old yard back and more space than i know what to do with. J is thinking of turning the back sunroom into a meditation room- just because he can- and we will now have an official guest bedroom, so if any of you east coast slackers ever want to go (mid)west, you have a place to stay. it is a little more money than we pay now, but not a ridiculous amount, and i figure if you're going to splurge it might as well be on your home. i know all of you homeowners out there are going to tell me i should buy, but i'm just not ready yet (nor is the chicago housing market, by my budget). one major life commitment at a time- talk to me after i'm married and through grad school.

i am just a little worried about J's reaction to the new place though. he seems a little weirded out about moving back into what was essentially my old apartment, in a building with all of my friends. he says he feels like he's moving further into my life, and that strikes me as an odd phrase from someone who is planning to marry me in a year. as i see it, i spend a LOT of time with his friends, much more than he has ever spent with mine, so in fact moving in there kind of balances the scales. i know that the extra money worries him too, but as i see it, we have the money my parents left me as a cushion for us and in order to enable us to live a little more comfortably, so why not use it to live in a really nice place? it's really only $150 more a month than we were looking to spend, and that's what, like two dinner dates or a couple of cab rides a month we'll have to cut out? i do not count on my parent's money, and i have never squandered it, but dammit, my parents are dead and that really sucks, so why shouldn't i get some happiness from the money they left me? i have so much guilt and so many bad feelings about that money, i am trying to get to a place where i can just enjoy it- not waste it or depend on it, but enjoy it and appreciate the security and flexibility it offers me. using it to enable me to live in an apartment that i love, in a building full of people that i care about, with a yard where i can dig in the dirt- that is how i lose the bad vibes of that money. and that's okay........right?

damn. i need to go back to therapy.

3 comments:

MAH said...

I say good for you. Spend that money! That's what it's there for. I too am a little weirded out by J's comment. Um...what? would have been my reaction to him. How nice it must be to have a meditation room just because you can. That makes us New Yorkers (where the average price of an apartment is $1,000,000) feel fantastic. By the way, did you get my email from a week or so ago?

MAH

CHANTEUSE said...

sorry, my new york friend(s), didn't mean to rub in the extra space. but that's the bonus i get for living in the one urban respite in the middle of a never-ending sea of corn. MAH, i did get your email RSVPing- is that the one? oh, and i talked to J about his comment, and all i cleared up. he was just being a stupid boy.

Le Synge Bleu said...

oh don't worry about us new yorkers and rubbing our noses in it whilst we are sharing a one bedroom that is probably the totaly size of your bathroom. living in such conditions i greatly wholeheartedly urge you to enjoy the extra space and the yard guilt free. why not? you have the means with which to enjoy life - so go to it.

sounds like temtation to visit - a guest bedroom!

i too have fallen off the blogging wagon - life does that sometimes, and sometimes you just don't feel like writing. cut yourself some well deserved slack baby.

i can't wait to see you this weekend.