Tuesday, December 19, 2006

pffffttttttttttttttttt..

i think i'm going to start all of my blogs with random, made-up sound words. i like it.

that sound i started with today is something like a long drawn out raspberry of disgust. i'm in a mood, and by that i mean a grumpy one. it's a week til Christmas, how could I be in a mood? i love Christmas (so much that i insist on capitalizing it, which should say something), i truly believe that it's the most wonderful time of the year, magical and tingly and warm and all that jazz. but this year it's stressing me out; i don't know how, but it really snuck up on me. i was so sure that thanksgiving (see, no capitalization there) being so early would put me way ahead of the game, that i would be relaxed and excited by now, all of my gifts bought and wrapped and all of my packages safely en route to my various family groups on the east coast. but no. i may not even get all of my family's packages out on time to reach them by Christmas- &*%((*#&@()@#!!! i did get some good gifts for every one this year, so i guess better late than never, but now i have to print, wrap, bake, assemble and pack them all, then stand in line for five hours at the post office in order to pay an arm and a leg for them to arrive late anyway. AAAACCKKKKK! i wish my family would buy into the grab bag idea; it would save me a lot of time. but, since they don't, i will most likely be up until the wee hours tonight getting everything ready to ship out. ho ho ho.

i want to be able to relax and enjoy this week! after Christmas it's all downhill until summer (which, in this part of the country, is at least a good five months off), so i need to be able to enjoy this time! after wednesday- aka: D(elivery) Day- things should calm down a little. i am happy that we're staying in town this year; at least we don't have to worry about traveling stress. just to complicate things for myself, i have invited several people over for a Christmas Eve buffet dinner, which i will now have to shop and cook for this weekend, but i actually enjoy that kind of thing. J even ordered us a goose for Christmas dinner from the chef at his work; how very Dickensian of us! (i was going to try and make a figgy pudding, but that may be pushing it). so i just need to focus on getting to the weekend. ironically, i have most of J's presents already, and still have all day saturday to shop for him. well, at least i won't be stressed as i battle the panicked last-minute masses to buy a few stray stocking stuffers.

okay, so i'm in the final countdown to Christmas cheer and relaxation. that makes me feel better, to realize that by this time tomorrow it will all be over. i am doing a Christmas show with my band tonight, and i almost wish i wasn't, so that i could have the extra assembly time. but i'll just come home, fix myself a glass of wine and go on a packing spree.

gee, it's not so bad after all (must be the Christmas magic kicking in...)

3 comments:

Le Synge Bleu said...

and if the presents don't get there on time, will the sky really fall? also, follow this link to print out your shipping labels from the post office online and then you won't have to wait in line.http://www.usps.com/onlinepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=onlinepostage
who loves ya? huh?

MAH said...

umm...under duress. i have been asked to post. notice that the only posts on this are the two Jews. i always assumed that part of the love affair with xmas was the whole business of it. if that didn't exist, what world there be to enjoy? can i say that on xmas eve J's goose will be cooked? ok, i have to study, one more exam. if my boyfirend wants a swimming pool and houseboy to cheat on me with, I have to get goo dgrades and make some money

happy bday.
mah

CHANTEUSE said...

yeah, the business side is my least favorite part of Christmas, but unfortunately i have been guilted into participating in the whole buying bonanza. i do try to make at least some of my gifts (which really just makes more hassle for me, but does make me feel more genuine). i'm looking forward to the consumer part being done by tomorrow so that i can just enjoy the cozy, sentimental, personal-tradition part this weekend (lots of christmas movies, food, festive cocktails and friends!).

my thanks to the Jews in the house for stopping in to support my holiday complaints right in the midst of their own celebration- happy Channukah all!