Friday, August 19, 2005

therapy-eve (like christmas eve...only not at all...)

so tomorrow i start therapy with the guy that J's therapist recommended. that's right, a guy, but he's gay, so that made it okay for me. call me crazy (no joke intended), but i would not feel comfortable with a straight male therapist; somehow a gay man is not so threatening. not to stereotype, but i assume a gay man would be more sympathetic. i talked to him on the phone, and he sounded cool- he congratulated me for recognizing that my old therapist wasn't working for me, said that lot's of people just stay with people they don't really like. he also said that he is very interactive and hands on in his style, which is much more of what i'm looking for. my last therapist just sat and listened and then basically repeated back to me what i had said. i could accomplish that with a tape recorder.

in the spirit of my upcoming emotional exploration, i had a pre-therapy session of my favorite kind last tuesday with J: magaritas at our favorite mexican restaurant. whenever we go there (which is as often as the budget permits) we end up having very postive, soul-searching talks, and this week was no exception. in fact, about a half a pitcher in, we had an epiphany, or at least a very interesting realization. all of my fear of commitment and fear of marriage and fear that everyone around me is dead if they are five minutes late comes directly from my belief that everyone i get close to will be taken away from me. because they always have been- from my dad (as a child and then literally, with his death), his wives, K and C (my childhood surrogate family), my stepfather and stepbrothers, my mom's boyfriends, to (the ultimate) my mom, the one person who swore she would never leave. so now i am trying to push J away, because i assume he will leave anyway. i am testing him to see if he will leave, because i assume he will. i am freaked out by marriage because i am terrified to count on someone again, to cast myself in with someone else who i believe will get taken (or go)away again. in other words, MAJOR fear of abandonment. and maybe this doesn't sound like such a revelation, but for some reason it seemed like it to me. i guess because i looked beyond the normal 'people who left me' list and noticed that there were even more, that almost everyone i had grown attached to as a child had gone away. i grew up so seperated from my extended family, and anyone else i tried to 'adopt' went away. i grew up expecting to be left or forgotten about.

the only exceptions, and they came later in my teens, are my friends, many of whom read this blog. so thank you all, thanks for being the ones who stayed. i guess that means i'd feel okay about marrying any of you.

the greatest thing about this revelation is that J made it. and so now he understands why i run away and why i sometimes act crazy and try to push all of his buttons at once. so maybe now it won't work on him. i guess i will just have to try to accept that he'll be the exception to the rule, that he won't leave, or at least not for a really, really, really long time.

and i want to believe that so very much. i am tired of being scared, i want to just be happy and trusting and open. i love J and i want to believe that we will be allowed to grow old together.

maybe my new therapist will help me begin to believe. i'm sure he'll be impressed that i'm coming in with so much homework started (but then i always have been a teacher's pet). maybe i should suggest to him that we have margaritas for our session, just to get the ball rolling...

4 comments:

Angelize said...

I have the same issues as you, trust me. I think its a natural reaction to what we have been through. Your new therapist should be proud and hopefully can help you deal with it. I can't afford therapy, so I just try to stay detached. Somedays when my son goes off to school, or out playing with friends, the fear that something will happen and I will never see him again overwhelms me. I try to counter these feelings by trying to make sure if anything ever does happen to him that I will have no regrets. He knows I love him with all my heart, that I only want the best for him which is why he has rules, and my job is to raise him to be a good human being. If anything happens, I want to have some solace that he was happy, well adjusted and had a mommy that loved him unconditionally. Good luck.

Roxanne said...

Have you registered yet? Just getting that out of the way....

I don't have your fear of abandonment issues. But I think the way I got around feeling scared of marriage was looking at it like a formality. There was nothing different about our relationship before we got married except that I guess if we'd had a kid she/he would have technically been a "bastard." :) We just wanted to get married for the big party! Marriage is probably not going to change anything between the two of you...but I guess that doesn't necessarily help.

CHANTEUSE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CHANTEUSE said...

angelize, i like that line of thinking, to just make sure that you never leave things unsaid or unfinished, every day. i do that as well; i always say 'i love you' to the people that are important to me before when i see them or before we part ways. at least then if my wildest nightmares do come true i will at least know that they knew that i loved them.
kristoise and vixanne, i responded to your posts on my next post. and kristoise, i do agree that cocktails and therapy would be a very popular idea. they say that people are more honest when they're drunk, and they certainly do tend to talk alot more. plus, drinks are just so darn fun and yummy...