Sunday, May 29, 2005

what not to do

if both of your parents are dead, and you loved them both, and you miss them both very much, and you happen to be planning your wedding to a wonderful man who they never got to meet, oh, and you were just getting close to your dad when he died quite suddenly and unexpectedly, just about the WORST thing you can do is watch the movie "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin. especially when you have been drinking wine. and it is the first day of your period.

now i am going to drink more wine and cry. a lot. and watch the rest of the movie, because i am a glutton for punishment. for those of you that will be at the wedding, know that this is why i will be crying when the song "the boy i'm gonna marry" (by some 50's girl band- it 's a nice song) comes on. and it will, because (did i mention that i'm a glutton for punishment?) my dad loved that kind of music.

i am sad and pathetic. so sad, so pathetic. but thank god for the indiebride website and all of the other motherless and fatherless brides i found there. they reminded me that at least i am not sad, pathetic and the only one of my kind.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Not that it's the same, but you know that movies like that are a total pile of crap and that many, many women do not have picture perfect cutesy relationships with their fathers...even on their wedding days. I know it's different, because flawed though our parents may be, we want them here rather than not here. But I just think movies like that are totally evil to begin with.

CHANTEUSE said...

i agree, and the same "perfection" stereotypes are the chief problem with romantic movies as well (yeah, right, that previously commitment-phobic man is suddenly going to see the light and go fill your house with flowers and propose. uh huh). this particular movie just highlighted for me the fact that i am really pretty much in this wedding by myself, and that made me sad. i mean, J will help, but he's not really excited about the whole planning process, and all of my other relatives have their own children and families to think about, not me. i know that if he were here my dad would be driving me crazy, trying to invite all of his hunting buddies and trying to persuade me to skimp on costs, and i'm sure my mom would have her moments as well, but i do still wish they were here to annoy me.